What We Do: Three Delays Model
The projects and programmes that midwives@ethiopia work on are all embedded in the Three Delays Model as identified by Thaddeus and Maine. This highlights a number of factors that contribute to a woman dying during labour in a resource poor environment such as rural Ethiopia
- Delay in seeking care due to:
- women’s status
- mis-understanding of disease and health factors
- previous poor experience at a Health Centre
2. Delay in reaching care due to:
- distance to the Health Centre
- poor roads
- difficult geography
- lack of transport and finances
3. Delay in receiving adequate health care due to:
- Poor facilities and a lack of equipment
- Inadequately trained staff
- No staff at institutions
- Lack of awareness regarding symptoms
m@e provides on-site training for midwifery tutors, midwives and health extension workers in Dilla Zuria, Gedeo Zone, SNNPR, Southern Ethiopia.
- m@e develops links with Ethiopian colleagues and regional health offices, hospitals and health centres. This ensures sustainability, continuity and support for existing Health structures.
- m@e supports our partners through sponsorship at Masters level and supervisory advice for research.
- m@e works with staff in rural health centres in SNNPR to improve standards and service delivery
- m@e works alongside the Ethiopian Midwives Association in our joint vision providing onsite training for health care providers in rural areas. As well as supporting advocacy and addressing accountability in hospital settings.
- m@e links with other organisations such as E4A, MSI and DKT to strengthen programmes
“If you want to go fast, go alone; if you want to go far, go together.”
We welcome any support you can offer. If you would like to fund raise for us, sponsor one of us, donate or help in anyway at all we would be very pleased to hear from you.
All the money raised goes directly to buying simple, effective teaching equipment and running effective training courses for midwifery tutors, midwives and health extension workers in Southern Ethiopia.
- There is a fundraising event at Llanyrafon Meth...
- Llanyrafon Methodist church South Wales. Saturd...
- Over £400 was raised for midwives@ethiopia from...