- midwives@ethiopia deliver effective, evidence based training courses to midwife tutors and midwives in Southern Ethiopia. Trustees. midwives and student midwives on their electives travel to Ethiopia twice a year to provide onsite training with our partners at Dilla university. The courses include emergency skills training and teaching methods, a huge emphasis is placed on sharing practical skills and updating knowledge. The course complements the current Government led midwifery training and reflects the current Government National Transformation Health Service Delivery Plan.
- midwives@ethiopia delivers training to Health Extension Workers (HEWs). HEWs live and work in the villages and therefore understand the traditional beliefs and barriers that can have an impact on care. Training programmes include practical skills updates and discussions to improve access to care at Health Centres and other institutions for birth. In Ethiopia only 10% women give birth with a skilled birth attendant, most choosing to give birth at home. The Government is encouraging women not to use Traditional Birth Attendants but to opt for evidence based safer care at the local Health Centre. HEWs are usually nominated by their community (and therefore trusted and well respected) and are based in a simple Health Post in very rural areas. Their role is vast and covers health promotion, vaccines, family planning and all aspects of maternal health. Midwives@ethiopia train 400-600 HEWs a year offering intense two day training programmes covering clean and safe delivery, referral to Health Centres and helping families prepare for birth.
We welcome any support you can offer. If you would like to fund raise for us, sponsor one of us, donate or help in anyway at all we would be very pleased to hear from you.
All the money raised goes directly to buying simple, effective teaching equipment and running effective training courses for midwifery tutors, midwives and health extension workers in Southern Ethiopia.
- There is a fundraising event at Llanyrafon Meth...
- Llanyrafon Methodist church South Wales. Saturd...
- Over £400 was raised for midwives@ethiopia from...