Clean and Safe Delivery Kits
Midwives@ethiopia are committed to fundraising to provide safe delivery kits to all the Health Extension Workers (HEWs) attending our training courses. HEWs are expected to pay for (and replace) any delivery items they use. Although they encourage families to prepare for the birth by saving money to buy basic delivery items, the majority of families are unable to afford it. Therefore, charity funds are used to buy basic items locally in Southern Ethiopia and kits are assembled.
- Two bars of soap
- A bowl with a lid to wash hands and also to store items
- Plastic sheeting to promote a clean birth area (that can be cleaned between births)
- Clean string (to tie the baby’s unbilical cord)
- A razor blade (to cut the cord)
- Misoprostil *
* Misoprostil is a drug that can be taken orally if a mother is bleeding heavily following a birth. Numerous charities worldwide are committed to providing misoprostil for HEWs to use, however early evaluations have shown that many HEWs are not aware it is available or are not gaining access to the drug so midwives@ethiopia assist in the distribution by providing it in safe delivery kits.
We welcome any support you can offer. If you would like to fund raise for us, sponsor one of us, donate or help in anyway at all we would be very pleased to hear from you.
All the money raised goes directly to buying simple, effective teaching equipment and running effective training courses for midwifery tutors, midwives and health extension workers in Southern Ethiopia.
- There is a fundraising event at Llanyrafon Meth...
- Llanyrafon Methodist church South Wales. Saturd...
- Over £400 was raised for midwives@ethiopia from...